- 3 lbs of chicken breasts, thighs, and/or drumsticks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Suya Bros suya spice suya spice
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp of of Suya Bros suya spice, for flour mixture
- Vegetable or Canola oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, season chicken with Suya Bros suya spice
- Pour buttermilk over chicken and make sure they are fully coated.
- Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat a large saucepan filled with vegetable oil over medium-high heat till oil reach about 330ºF
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, and suya powder
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and shake off any excess.
- Coat each chicken piece in the flour mixture, making sure it is fully coated.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil for 8-10 minutes per side, or until golden brown and thickest part of the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF (75ºC).
- Remove the chicken from the oil and let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Immediately sprinkle extra Suya Bros suya spice on chicken.
Enjoy with traditional fried chicken sides green beans, mac and cheese, cornbread, baked beans, collards greens, and slaw. You can serve it with jollof or fried rice for a delicious fusion of Southern techniques with bold Nigerian flavors.